The movie”Eight Hundred” hits the spotlight, bringing the bloody legend of”Eight Hundred Heroes” in August 1937 to public view. The 147-minute splendid plot, let us go straight to the historical scene and relive the smoke of gunpowder wrapped in blood and fire…

The world-famous”eight hundred warriors” were finally caught Forced to lay down their weapons and retreated into the solitary barracks in the concession. In the autumn of 1942, the Japanese army dispersed and escorted the”eight hundred heroes” to Zhuji, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, Yuxikou, Anhui, and Xiaolingwei, Nanjing, Jiangsu to dig coal or build roads for hard work, and some were forcibly transported to Nanyang New Guinea by the Japanese to work as coolies. . They did not return to the motherland until after the victory of the Anti-Japanese War.

What this article is about is the life of the”eight hundred heroes” from now on…

getUrls?link=8cef55f0920bf9402d5bca3983973c0f - The last years of the"eight hundred heroes"

On October 31, 1937, the”Eight Hundred Warriors” withdrew from the four-row warehouse.

No matter how poor you are, you will never sell a badge!

After the victory of the War of Resistance Against Japan, the survivors who worked as coolies in New Guinea were sent back to Shanghai by the Australian government.

In his later years, Tian Jitian, a veteran of the”eight hundred warriors”, still remembers:At the end of December 1946, these survivors were sent by the Australian government to ship and were commissioned by the International Red Cross. Deported home. According to Tian Jitian’s recollection:They returned to Shanghai via Hong Kong, and the Shanghai government organized people to meet them at the port. After living in Shanghai for a period of time, the Nationalist government gradually became indifferent to these survivors of the nine-death life in the Sino-Japanese War. They neither arranged work nor received any preferential treatment. At this time, Tian Jitian felt that the Kuomintang government’s propaganda to the”eight hundred heroes” was just to whitewash the KMT to promote the anti-Japanese That’s it, since then I am disappointed. Not long after, the KMT authorities used promotion as a bait to lure them to participate in the anti-communist civil war on the Northeast battlefield. However, Tian Jitian and others resolutely demanded that they be disbanded and returned to the land under the pretext of”Chinese not beating the Chinese”. After Tian Jitian had some travel expenses, he returned to Puqi, Hubei, his hometown after a 10-year absence.

After the outbreak of the Civil War, some of the surviving”eight hundred warriors” went to Taiwan and some remained in the mainland. Their origin is mainly in Hubei, but also in Hunan, Jiangxi, Anhui and other places. Most of the soldiers returned to their hometowns one after another. During the”Cultural Revolution”, some people were persecuted for historical reasons. More people stay incognito, unwilling to mention the history of the national army, which has been obliterated in history for a long time.

In July 1947, Tian Jitian took off a uniform and returned to his hometown with a wound. His childhood playmates have already married and established a business, and he was particularly surprised when he saw the tall but thin:”Brother Queer (Tian Jitian’s nickname in his early years), we all thought you were gone long ago. I didn’t expect you to be out there. For so many years.” Tian Jitian, who had not changed his native accent, simply talked about his military life when he saw his childhood friend. Before I finished speaking, the”big partners” from the same town embraced and wept.

getUrls?link=7b8d3e54e39fedb8f4e12adc5830c86c - The last years of the"eight hundred heroes"

Tian Jitian’s last photo before his death.

Because of the poverty of his family, bereft of relatives and little help, coupled with his old age and physical injuries, he just returned to his hometown can’t afford one The housemate had to step in and go to a widow’s house to be the son-in-law. At this time, the other party already had 3 young children (two women and one boy). However, the good times didn’t last long, and the woman caught the illness not long afterwards. Tian Jitian soon became the adoptive father of three orphans, serving as both a father and a mother, pulling the three children for a few years. In the spring of 1955, after being linked by a kindhearted person, he married Wang Yibao, who was 20 years old from the village, and fell in love with each other. Within a few years, two women and one man, Jinyu, Manxiu, and Yinshui, were born one after another, lively and lovely, sensible and well-behaved, and finally had a warm and happy home. Later, when his grandson was born, he insisted on naming his grandson”Tian Jing”-I have experienced too many hardships and ups and downs in my life, and I hope my grandchildren will not repeat the wandering and drifting life, but will be calm. Live a lifetime in peace.

In his hometown, Tian Jitian served as the police and sergeant of Dingmu Township and Tingsi Township, Puqi County for many years, and actively participated in Puqi Lushui Hub He Liushan Lake reclamation and other projects are known as”Old Huang Zhong” on the construction site, and have been praised and rewarded by the project headquarters and the migrant workers’ group many times. However, the”Four Cleansing” and”Cultural Revolution” movements came one after another. Tian Jitian was attacked because of his status as a retired member of the Kuomintang army, his home was stolen, and he himself was regarded as a”military ruffian” in a parade. Certain documents were confiscated, and only the”Commemorative Medal of Head Xie” was kept secretly.

In interviews with the author, the villagers all said that Tian Jitian is an upright person, loves labor all his life, and has been working hard for many years, working on his own. Do not ask the government for credit, nor show your qualifications in front of the villagers, live frugally, often teach your children to cherish a happy life, and take the initiative to participate in social welfare activities. There is a well in the village. Tian Jitian is afraid that the well water will be dirty, so he often cleans and smooths the surrounding area. Wei Huaxiu, a teacher at Yingli Primary School, said:“The old man doesn’t love publicity in his life, but once, we asked him to go to school to give students a patriotic education class. He heard that he was telling elementary school students about the patriotic battle of the Four Elements War. I simply agreed.”

One ​​day in May 1987, Li Zongrun, a cadre of the Puqi Local History Office, was waiting for a bus to Puqi Chengguan at the Guantang Station, and only saw a farmer. The old man who looked like didn’t squeeze into the car twice in a row, but he said,”I have traveled in several countries, and people are not so crowded in a ride!” The people waiting next to the bus thought that the old man was”mad”. Rustic, like a person who has been abroad, and said that he has been to several countries. Li Zongrun inadvertently cut in and asked him which countries he had been to and what he was doing there. This”nervous” broke his fingers, thinking while talking about the Philippines, Indonesia, and Australia in the Nanyang Islands. They were sent there by the Japanese to perform hard labor after participating in the”Four Elements War” in Shanghai. Later, Li Zongrun asked him about the number and head of the”eight hundred heroes”, and he came together clearly. At this time, everyone around him was staying, and looked at this not surprising old man with admiration. According to the old population, during the War of Resistance Against Japan, 22 people in Puqi participated in the famous Sixing Warehouse defense battle; The enlisted soldiers first gathered in Puqi, then took a car to Wuchang for rest, and soon went to fight in Shanghai.

I once heard Feng Jinping, the Local Chronicles Office of Chibi City, said that in 1990, Tian Jitian was invited to attend the 45th Anniversary Symposium of the Victory of the Anti-Japanese War organized by the municipal government. In rural areas, Tian Jitian is particularly concerned about current affairs and politics, and”News Network” is a must-see program. When Hong Kong returned to Hong Kong in 1997, he was extremely excited. He”occupied” that black and white TV all day long, staring at the screen for fear of missing a picture. On the night of the formal handover ceremony, before it got dark, he ordered the whole family:”Tonight, I must watch TV well. I have been to Hong Kong, so you can sit down and watch!” Hear his daughter-in-law Shen Weizhen In short, since the return of Hong Kong and Macau, the elderly often tell people that Taiwan is also a part of our country, and it would be better to reunite earlier.

Someone once wanted to buy the Xie Jinyuan medal for 500 yuan, but the Tian family, who had a hard life, refused. At that time, Tian Jitian said, “Although I have difficulties, a few hundred dollars is nothing in my eyes. After the money is spent, nothing is left. This commemorative medal has always followed me to Australia. It is my past life. The commemoration of this is also a precious spiritual treasure that I leave to future generations. No matter how poor I am, I will never sell a stamp!”

Shen Weizhen told the author in an interview:”1975 is To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the victory of the War of Resistance Against Japan, I heard that the Taiwan authorities issued a set of 6 commemorative stamps for the heroes of the War of Resistance Against Japan. Xie Jinyuan, as one of the 6 heroes, became the commemorative figure of one of the stamps. After the old man learned the news, he hoped that there would be such a set. Stamps. But we have spent a lot of energy and we can’t make the old man’s dream come true.” During the interview, the author witnessed the commemorative medal collected by the old man, with Xie Jinyuan’s head in the center of the front, a typical southern face of Xie Jinyuan. He is solemn in military uniform and has a firm look. On the top of his head, there is a 6-character”commemorative statue of Commander Xie”. The book is”Respected by the Lonely Army Camp” and the serial number”No112″ is engraved on the back. This commemorative medal and the deceased owner seem to be quietly reminiscing about the time of the war of blood and fire……

March 1989, Puqi City Local Civil Affairs Bureau Together with the local chronicles office and other units, apply to the municipal party committee and the municipal government for subsidies under the name Tian Jitian. At this time, Tian Jitian was granted the status of “demobilized soldier in the township” and “special care target” of the Civil Affairs Department of Hubei Province, and was entitled to a monthly fixed supplement of 25 yuan.

During the period of hard labor in Australia, Tian Jitian had a poor diet, a hungry meal and a full meal, and sometimes drinking water was not guaranteed, so he could not drink sea water, so he drank horse urine. . According to Shen Weizhen, he had a serious stomach problem in Australia that year, so that later he always had to put some snacks at home. When the old man had stomachache, he could not eat and chew some snacks. In September 1998, Tian Jitian found a large lump in his abdomen, which was painful. His family members were sent to the hospital for examination and diagnosed as”hernia”. The doctor requested an operation, and the wife hurried home to raise money. But the old man also came back. He did not agree to the operation-“I am a lot of age and on the operating table, how can I know if I can come down?”

The condition developed rapidly, Tian Jitian could hardly take care of himself. After lying down for more than a month, he never survived like before. In the early morning of the eighteenth day of the lunar calendar that year, the old anti-Japanese hero died suddenly.

Wan Dad cries loudly when he drinks too much

The”small” in the movie”Yai Bai””Hubei” has many shadows of Wan Lianqing, a veteran of Nantong City. Wan Lianqing was originally an orphan of a martyr. When Marshal Luo Ronghuan launched the Southern Hubei riot in Tongcheng in 1927, Wan Lianqing’s father, Wan Shunfu, was the chairman of the Soviet government in Tongcheng County. He was arrested and sacrificed in August 1935. At that time, 15-year-old Wan Lianqing was arrested and imprisoned as the head of the county’s communist children’s group. Thanks to the county magistrate Jia Tingshen, he moved his compassion and came forward to save him and accept him as a godson. Later, Wan Lianqing was introduced to him. Hubei Security Corps Tongcheng County Security Brigade became a policeman.

When the Anti-Japanese War broke out, the Tongcheng County Security Brigade drew two squadrons to Hubei Security No. 5 Regiment and went to Shanghai. In this way, Wan Lianqing was vaguely involved in the Kuomintang army, from a descendant of a Red Army martyr into a Kuomintang policeman, and then a member of the Kuomintang regular army that was at odds with his fathers. From the Four-row warehouse defense battle to the retreat to the lone army camp in the concession, Wan Lianqing has been serving as an order soldier for the regiment leader Xie Jinyuan.

After the lone army camp was broken, Wan Lianqing and 8 others were arrested by Japanese invaders and taken to Nanjing to work as laborers. They successfully escaped in November 1942 and came to Chongqing. Wan Lianqing was immediately incorporated into the Chinese Expeditionary Force and went to the Burma International Battlefield.

After Japan surrendered, Wan Lianqing served as the railway sheriff in Shanghai. After the founding of the People’s Republic of China, Wan Lianqing didn’t mention the past of being an”eight hundred warriors” or the orphan of a martyr. He was sent to Xinjiang as a war criminal for reform until he was released in 1979 by an amnesty.

In 1979, someone from Huangpao Commune of Tongcheng County went to Xinjiang to sell tea and met Wan Lianqing. Hearing the local accent for the first time in decades, Wan Lianqing was in tears. With the encouragement of fellow villagers, he returned to his hometown of Tongcheng in 1983. In 1995, Li Bin came to Tanghu Town (then Huangpao Township) as the leader of the Xiaokang Poverty Alleviation Team of Tongcheng County. He accidentally heard that Wan Lianqing, the head of the chicken farm in the township, was the “eighth” of the Four Lines Warehouse in the Songhu Battle. One of the”Hundred Heroes”.”I admire heroes very much. I find that old people love to drink, so I often go to Wan Dad at night with a jug of wine. When Wan Da drank too much, I cried and I didn’t persuade him. Once, after Wan Dad cried, he wiped his tears. I said:’What’s the matter, you can ask.’ After that, I learned a lot about Wan Dae.”

Before Wan Lianqing went to Xinjiang, Entrust Zhang Meiyun, the only daughter, to a friend’s care. After returning to his hometown, Li Bin persuaded the old man to find his daughter. Wan Lianqing said:If you don’t look for it, you don’t know whether your daughter is alive or dead. Second, if your daughter is still alive, you can’t give her anything, and you’ll be burdened. . In 2001, Wan Lianqing died of illness at the home of his niece in Wanghu Village, Tongcheng County.

On Ching Ming Festival in 2016, 67-year-old Zhang Meiyun returned to his hometown to visit his father Wan Lianqing’s grave. It turned out that Zhang Meiyun’s adoptive father, Zhang Qingxuan and Wan Lianqing were comrades in the War of Four Lines Warehouse. In 1942, Zhang Qingxuan and others were escorted by the Japanese army to Nanyang to work hard. They were rescued by the International Red Cross and returned to Shanghai after the victory of the Anti-Japanese War. In 1952, Wan Lianqing was sent to Xinjiang to reform through labor. His wife left him, so he had to entrust the young girl to Zhang Qingxuan to raise him.

Zhang Qingxuan never revealed Zhang Meiyun’s life experience during his lifetime, until Zhang Qingxuan’s wife confided this”secret” before his wife died in 2005:Zhang Meiyun’s biological father was called Wan Lianqing. Before this, Zhang Meiyun herself didn’t know that she was Zhang Qingxuan’s adopted daughter. But, who knows the whereabouts of his father Wan Lianqing? After inquiring about Xie Jinyuan’s second son, Xie Jimin, he learned that Wan Lianqing was from Tongcheng, Hubei and had passed away.

getUrls?link=1c212a3b0edcb4ce44978a5f36eac4a9 - The last years of the"eight hundred heroes"

The”Eight Hundred Lone Army Fighting Diary” published by Shanghai Xinsheng Bookstore in the same year

Hu Zhanping, a descendant of”Eight Hundred Heroes” Hu Mengsheng, heard of the hit of”Eight Hundreds”. He had never been to the cinema to watch a movie with his wife and granddaughter. Seeing the place where my father once stood, and recalling the fierce battle I heard of, I was very excited:”After my father took part in the defense war, he took refuge in Nanjing and married my mother. My father brought me and my sister to Tongcheng. At the time, I was only one year old and my sister was only one month old. I heard my father talk about the anti-Japanese scene in Shanghai, just like in today’s movie, he insisted on fighting the Japanese at the Sixing Warehouse, and finally went to England. After the concession, he insisted on fighting against the Japanese.” Xie Jinyuan’s son Xie Jimin attended the premiere of the movie”Eight Hundreds” and said that”the spirit of my father has always inspired me, and I am proud of my father.”

The rush of time cannot keep the pace of life aging and perishing. But history will never forget the”eight hundred heroes”, because they once fought for the glory of a nation and sacrificed their lives for the rise and fall of a country. They wrote the”Song of the Eight Hundred Heroes” in their lives of suffering and heroism.

The four-row warehouse stands on the banks of the Suzhou River in Shanghai, which is rich in land, and stands silently without a word. The dense bullet holes or bullet marks left by the fierce battle remain on the west wall, seeming to tell the heroic scene of that year…

The last island is time

In 1937, after the War of Four Lines Warehouse was over, warehouse worker Wang Liansheng was also sent to the concession. But after all, he had managed the Four Lines Warehouse. Wang Liansheng was always worried, and often took his young son Wang Xiefan back to the warehouse to check. After the victory of the Anti-Japanese War, Wang Liansheng returned to the warehouse with his son and made a lot of preparatory work to recover the warehouse. Since the warehouse was severely damaged within a few years of Japanese occupation, it needed major repairs to resume operations. At that time, the windows on the north side of the warehouse did not have a complete glass, and the west wall was full of bullet marks. Some traces of the warehouse were still burnt. The floor of the warehouse was cracked and the walls collapsed. After several months of overhaul, the warehouse has finally resumed business. His son Wang Xiefan was also formally hired as a member of the warehouse.

In September 1985, the former site of the Four Lines Warehouse was listed by the Shanghai Cultural Relics Preservation Committee as the”Eight Hundred Warriors” Anti-Japanese Memorial Site. In February 1994, Sixing Warehouse was listed as the second batch of outstanding historical buildings in Shanghai. However, Sixing Warehouse has long been used as a shopping mall, with outdated decoration, untidy facades, and messy exterior billboards, signboards, and air conditioners. Most of it is used as the largest stationery and office supplies wholesale market in Shanghai. The warehouse is covered to the 7th floor, and all steel windows are replaced with aluminum alloy windows. The noisy hawking, the hectic footsteps, the dust of time, and the overlap and pressure, the past is hard to find.

In 1995, before commemorating the 58th anniversary of the”August 13th” Songhu Anti-Japanese War and the 50th anniversary of the victory of the Anti-Japanese War, the Shanghai Finance and Trade Party Committee was in Zhabei District, Bailian With the support of the group and relevant departments, a room on the 7th floor of the warehouse was built into the”Eight Hundred Warriors’ Heroic Anti-Japanese Deeds Showroom”. Due to manpower and capital constraints, during the opening period of the 120 square meter showroom, it will only be open for 3 hours every Friday afternoon, which will be explained by employees of Bailian Group’s Riverside Management Company.

For Lonely Army, the first island is a warehouse, the later island is a concession, and the last island is time. During the search, we can see what kind of hardship they had struggled to survive, and how they missed the magnificent years.

Guo Xingfa, together with his comrades in 1941, was escorted by the Japanese army to Hangzhou Jianqiao Airport as hard labor.”The Japanese drove away the farmers in the mountains, occupied their houses and raised horses. If we let the horses run when we put the horses, the Japanese would use leather whips to make our skins and flesh spattered. Apart from drinking wild vegetable soup twice a day, nothing else. A few months later, Guo Xingfa and his comrades successfully escaped, trekking all the way and hiding in hiding. After reuniting with his comrade Li Jintang in Shanghai, Guo Xingfa burst into tears. The weight of the machine gunner that year was only over 80 kilograms.

After being trapped in a solitary barracks for 4 years, the four-strand lone army fell into the hands of the Japanese and puppets. About 100 people including Yang Yangzheng were forcibly taken to Yuxikou, Wuhu, Anhui. Hard work. In February 1943, Yang Yangzheng and others fled with the help of the New Fourth Army guerrillas. They came to Chongqing via Henan and Hubei, and they were engaged to Zhao Xiaofang. The two agreed:”You will never get married if you don’t fight the Japanese devils.” In 1945 On August 16, the day after Japan announced its unconditional surrender, Yang Yangzheng and Zhao Xiaofang held a wedding.”The War of Resistance was victorious, and firecrackers and cheers were everywhere. It was so happy to get married at that time.” Yang Yangzheng recalled before his death. After the founding of New China, Yang Yangzheng was assigned to work in Chongqing Nan’an Non-staple Food and Aquatic Products Company.

In 2005, the 90-year-old lone army veteran Yang Yangzheng returned to the Sixing Warehouse. The old man came all the way from Chongqing. As soon as he entered the door, he was surrounded by the welcome crowd. Everyone shook hands. The old man was very happy. However, when the crowd dispersed, the bronze statue of Xie Jinyuan appeared. The old man’s smile suddenly disappeared, stood up from the wheelchair with difficulty, gave a trembling military salute, then rushed over, knelt down, holding the bronze statue, crying:”The report leader… It’s been a long time… I see you Now!” The audience was all moved.

In 2010, Yang Yangzheng died in Chongqing.

In February 2014, the Four Lines Warehouse was adjusted to the Shanghai Cultural Relics Protection Unit, becoming the only relic site of the Anti-Japanese War with a physical retention property in downtown Shanghai. As a result, more than 200 merchants in the stationery market in Zhabei, Shanghai were cleared. Bailian Group, the property right unit of the Sixing Warehouse, as a large state-owned enterprise in Shanghai, actively responded to and resolutely implemented the decision and deployment of the Shanghai Municipal Party Committee. It undertook the overall construction and repair of the Sixing Warehouse, the repair of the bullet hole wall on the west side, and the Sixing Warehouse Anti-Japanese War Memorial Hall. Construction tasks including facilities supporting projects. The historical mud rustled off and the ancient brick walls reappeared in the world. After the overall restoration, on August 13, 2015, the Shanghai Sixing Warehouse Anti-Japanese War Memorial was officially opened to the public. As the owner of the entire warehouse, Bailian Group continues to guard this warehouse that has experienced war and reconstruction. It is a pity that the”eight hundred heroes” have all traveled far, and the west wall of the memorial hall full of bullet holes looks at this prosperous world. Every year on August 13th, some descendants of veterans gather here.

At that time, the”eight hundred warriors” who regarded death as their homes persisted for 4 days under the concentrated fire of the main Japanese army. In 4 days, they repelled the enemy’s 6 attacks; in 4 days, they used flesh and blood to let the people witness the living Great Wall. It was them who, with their bravery and perseverance, carried the hope and determination of this country to fight to the end in those 4 days.

(The author of this article is the chief reporter of”China Children” magazine)

Source:people’s Political Consultative Conference report

author:Yu Wei